Choosing a business name can be daunting, and it’s difficult to know where to start, but keeping these few simple rules in mind will make the difficult process of choosing a business name that much easier:
- Make it Simple – Your business name should be memorable but accessible, a name that people can’t pronounce or spell is going to cause unnecessary hurdles for customers who are trying to find you.
- Think Figuratively – Most words have an emotional element to them, so it’s important to keep in mind both the literal meaning and the emotional value when you’re considering options for your small business name. Choose words that mirror the values of your business.
- Be Informative – Try to ensure that your business name can stand on its own in terms of informing your customers about your business. If someone gets your business card with just your business name and personal info on it, will they be able to tell what you do? If not, it might be a good idea to reconsider your name choice.
- Keep it Short – A shorter business name will be more memorable, but it’s also important in terms of design. The shorter your business name, the more flexibility you’ll have when it comes to designing promotional marketing materials such as business cards or banners.
- Do a Search – Before you get too attached to your business name it’s a good idea to go online and do a business name search to ensure that your name isn’t already in use.
- Think Outside the Box – Before you register your business name, take a thorough look at the spelling and word combinations to make sure you aren’t going to end up with an unfortunate website address that could be misinterpreted.